Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Have I told you lately that I love you?


Spring is here and all that is lovely about Greece is becoming more apparent everyday. Athens gets a lot of flack for being a concrete city and this is true of many parts of it, But, if you stop and look closely you’ll see some of the most beautiful sights you will ever see.

Just outside my building and all around the city the orange blossom fills the air with a heavenly sent and trees that were once completely bare and devoid of foliage are now starting to show the first sign of green leaves. The local fruit and veg market (the laiki) is bursting with spring crops including my personal favourites ‘strawberries’! The April showers fill the air with the fresh smell of rain and the numerous snails which live in the plants lining the pavements all come out in their masses. I’m constantly picking them up off the pavements so they don’t get squashed by passers by!!

The sun now warms your face as you walk around and makes sitting in the early balmy evenings a pleasure. The moon in all its stages is also something I love looking at here. The night sky is almost always clear, so sunrises and sunsets are magnificent. Of course nothing beats the sight of a full moon over the acropolis and no matter how many times I walk past it, the sight takes my breath away every time and I have to pinch myself to check it is all real.

It’s at times like these that I realise how lucky I am and how it’s the little things that can bring you the most pleasure!

No comments: